Here's my interview questions from Kellie. I had a fun time answering these.
1. Where are you in your sibling birth order? Do you subscribe to behavioral theories about birth order? Are you like your "profile" or not?
I am the 2nd of six, two girls, a boy, a girl, two boys. I think there is some truth to birth order behaviors but huge room for individual personalities. (Since I couldn't recall off the top of my head what these behaviors were, here's a link that gives a general description.) I'd say that as a young child when I had fewer siblings I definitely exhibited more of the middle/2nd child issues of troublemaker, feeling left out/squeezed, trying to find my own niche to express myself that was different than my older sister. But as our family grew, I became more of an oldest child in my "bossiness", sense of responsibility and sense of entitlement. I've always been a competitive person (for good or bad) and I think that stems from growing up with my particular family. I think gender has a lot to do with it, too. If my older sibling was a boy instead, I'm sure that would've changed how I acted. As it was, my younger brother often felt more like an older brother to me when we got to high school and beyond. This is a topic I think about often, analyzing my own siblings and wondering how my own children will "turn out".
2. What were you doing 10 years ago? Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
Ten years ago I'd just finished my freshman year at BYU and had returned home to Oregon for the summer. To the month, I was probably still really sick from a nasty colitis flare-up that plagued me the last part of my 2nd semester. When I recovered sufficiently I took a job nannying 4 kids aged 8 to 4; plus their two small (not quite potty trained) dogs. I remember reading the entire Work and the Glory series in between walks to the park, trips to the pool and refereeing all the crazy antics. Lots of air freshener and rocking out to Hootie and the Blowfish.
Ten years from now I'll be the busy mother of an almost 13 year old, 11 year old, 9 year old, and maybe one more?? In any case, my children will most likely all be in school and I might be doing some part-time work, whether paid or volunteer. If my husband is still employed by the federal government, we'll be enjoying 26 vacation days a year (WAHOO!) and hopefully we're living in a less hot-humid summer climate. I imagine my hobbies will be much the same with a few new ones mixed in. I'll probably have taken a round through the YW program at church, seeing as I haven't been that route thus far. Hopefully we have a good cash flow of college/mission savings for the kids, retirement savings for us and maybe even a cabin in the mountains picked out somewhere. I'd like to think that for our 10 year anniversary Matt and I traveled to Europe via Iceland and the British Isles, maybe taking a river tour along the Rhine/Danube. I definitely hope that I've spent my birthday (the Summer Solstice) under the northern lights, be it Alaska or Sweden! Hmmm, maybe those two will have to be in the 20 year plan! ; )
3. Do you play a musical instrument or play the stereo? Do you have a favorite genre of music? If so, what is it and what do you think draws you to it?
Well, I took piano lessons as young girl and again in high school for a year. I can pick out the right hand of some hymns or Primary songs. I really want a piano in our home so I can take lessons again and my children can learn, too. Then my answer to this question would be a simple, "I play the piano." : )
I've always liked classical music and enjoyed it even more after taking a Music 101 course in college. I've always absorbed music from the people around me: my siblings, college roommates, my husband's 70's taste of rock/pop/folk. Artists that are on my iPod playlists: Cat Steven's, Neil Diamond, Tom Petty, Peter Breinholt, Enya, David Copeland, various Classical composers, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan, Elizabeth Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, Elton John, Norah Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springstein, etc. A large part of my music listening is dictated by my 3 year old: the songs of Janeen Brady and Elizabeth Mitchell. Almost daily I "get" to hear "We Are Going to Gramma's House", my daughter's all time fave.
I guess I rambled on a bit there. I'd say folk is the genre that most draws me in. I like simple vocals with guitar, nothing twangy. I like the harmony of Indigo Girls and Simon&Garfunkel, artists I can sing along to easily. I have a knack for not hearing the right lyrics and coming up with my own strange ideas. Some classic Hollyisms: "Reverend Blue Jeans" (Forever in Blue Jeans by Neil Diamond); The interlude line in ChumbaWamba's popular song in '97: "Kissing the Night Away" (rather than relieving yourself after too much drinking); The Boxer (I am just a poor boy...) by S&G: "Asking only workman's wages I come looking for a job, but I get no offers, just a come on from the warzone on 7th Avenue..." (rather than hores). I like to think I'm not alone in these, but sometimes I feel seriously inept that I can't listen better.
Anyway, I think I've answered this question to death. I'll just add that I love it when I catch the NPR Song of the Day. If it's something I like I always tell myself that I'll check the website when I get home, but of course I never do.
4. Describe something that you experienced that made today unique.
Umh, I finished reading The Secret Life of Bees. That's 5 books this month. I can't remember the last time I read more than 3 books in a month. Not sure what got in to me, but I suppose I should look around and figure out what I've been neglecting since the time had to come from somewhere!
5. How do you respond when you get put on hold? Do you see it as a necessary evil and wait patiently, does it drive you insane, or something in between?
My first response is wait patiently and hope for the best. It all depends on who I'm calling and what it's about. If it's for information or a request I tend to not get that worked up. If it's a complaint and/or involves money I am much pricklier. I hate it when it goes that way. I usually try to go into the phone call with a positive attitude and hate it when I lose my cool and get impatient or mean about it. If there's ever the chance to leave my number and be automatically called back I take it in a heartbeat. I'm much more pleasant when the call comes through that way.
Want some questions of your own? Leave me a comment saying, "interview me!" and I will respond by e-mailing you five questions (if your email is not on your profile, email me your desire to be interviewed so I know your address). I get to pick them, and you have to answer them all. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
2 comments:
This was fun to read, Holly. Your answer to #4 made me laugh.
As for #1, such an interesting subject. I remember how we were always trying to be different from each other--if you were into photography, I couldn't be; if I was into poetry, you couldn't be--but it seems, almost inevitably, we have such similar tastes in so many things (like folk music, for example...). Does it still drive you crazy?
Oh, and your European vacation sounds heavenly!
Thank you Holly! I loved getting to know you better in this way. I used to think that Roundabout by Yes said "Mormons come out of the sky and they stand there..." Thank you for sharing such thoughtful, wonderful answers. It was hard to think of questions but your answers made my questions better, I think. We could definitely share some fun musical afternoons together.
Post a Comment