Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Popsicle Day

It was humid today. Not too hot, but the house was stuffy. The kids were not playing well together. I was tired. Naptime ran short for some reason. By mid afternoon it was time for a quick Target run for diapers and the other essentials in our house: milk, bread, eggs, cheese, Ovaltine. And a snack: goldfish crackers this time.

Then I released my children to the backyard. I filled the "turtle" (formerly a sandbox that makes a fabulous wading pool) with water then returned inside to grab popsicles! Evalyn keeps asking for them but doesn't eat them. She'll lick it and ask me to eat it for her. I willingly oblige. This was the first time I gave one to Henry (since we were outside in swimwear). It was a blast. He really got into it.

While Evalyn was off splashing and filling containers, Henry and I sat at the patio table slurping and giggling together. He turned it around, licked it, set it down, picked it up, sucked on it. By the end when it was slushy and dripping he was a pro. Then we finished off two homemade popsicles I'd made in cups with Kool-Aid (we never drink it, but I'd purchased to make playdough). What a riot.

I had so much fun being a kid and reveling in the simple joy of being a mom laughing with my little boy on a warm afternoon. I eventually got to reading my book (which was part of my motivation for being outside) but only after wiping up my sticky face and fingers! Henry went on to play in the dirt: his popsicle streaked chest was soon caked in it. Wish I'd gotten a shot of that.

6 comments:

Cami said...

I love popsicles! It's getting hot, I need to get some STAT!

Corinne said...

I also love a popsicle day. I remember the day I first bought Sheely one of those huge multicolored ones. We sat on the porch together (her in just a diaper, of corse) and I marved at the joy that is a cold stick of frozen sugar water

Anonymous said...

Priceless. One of those things to look back on when life gets more complicated down the road.

Heather said...

What fun! I love how simple things (like a couple of popsicles) can provide so much happiness. That last plate-licking shot is great!

Kellie said...

Absolutely fabulous. What a whole-body-every-sensation kind of experience. Thanks for sharing.

TracyS. said...

What a great day. I loved the pictures- especially the last!